Near the end of 2018 there was a fairly robust run on Spud Kits leaving me with one kit available for immediate shipment and one pre-built kit in white. After that, there will be a short delay while I restock components. Orders can still be placed, but expect closer to a few weeks shipping time versus the few days of turnaround I am typically able to meet.
Well, with one fully built amp shipping to Italy this week, and a kit on its way to California, I have only
3 kits 2 kits remaining for 2018. I do get busy with Thanksgiving and Christmas preparations, but I think I could probably fit in one more custom build before Christmas if somebody didn’t want to build a kit. Otherwise, I have 3 kits ready to ship.
Chassis colors: Blue, Black, Silver, Hammertone Dark Grey and Raw Aluminum
Also, I have one fully built amplifier with a White chassis ready for shipment as well.
My pending order of our custom wound output tranformers are expected to arrive in October. If you’re on the fence about purchasing, you may want to move soon. I’ll have 5 kits or customer builds available through the end of the year and will resume in 2019.
Chassis colors available include silver, black, metallic dark grey hammertone and raw aluminum.
Yes, the Spud Kit is available, and yes, I am still building them and shipping as a finished amplifier for those who aren’t inclined to build their own. I have chassis colors available in powder coated black, blue and silver. I also have raw / unfinished aluminum available if you’d like to apply your own color.
Recently, I went to Las Vegas for an Air Force reunion with some of my best buddies from my days in the military back in the ’80’s. It was a great trip, and I finally got to listen to a system one of my friends built around his Spud. He’s using Zu Audio speakers and a Pro-Ject turntable. He has a perfect room for a high performing minimalist system, and it sounded great!
With a low volume / hobby site, I am frequently asked “Is the Spud Kit still available”. The answer is yes. Not only is the kit available, but I also build to order for those who want the Spud experience but may lack the skills, interest or motivation to build one on their own.
New for 2017, I will have a shopping cart button (via PayPal) to order a kit or a pre-built Spud. Both may have a slight lead time, but I will try to have one of each ready to ship.
Thanks for checking in!
2016 is here, and there are some subtle and exciting changes with the Spud Kit while some things remain the same.
- The Spud Kit will remain in kit form, and I will continue to stock small batches of kits for enthusiasts.
- Prebuilt kits are also available. There are many prospective owners who don’t have the skills, experience or desire to build their own kit. For that audience, I will offer a flat fee to build a kit and provide a finished and tested amplifier.
- Some builders have gone down the road of endless upgrades to their kits and may have lost their way. Also, there may be kits that have been acquired in the used market with undesirable modifications. Whatever the situation, I can rebuild or diagnose your amp and return it to its stock function and form. I can even accommodate some of the modifications if that is your desire.
- I have modified the layout slightly for my custom builds. This modification removes a few terminal strips, reroutes the ground scheme and relocates the filament supply. It’s a noticeable improvement in form and function.
- The Spud Kit will be featured as a standard product at Caintuck Audio in Alexandria, KY (www.caintuckaudio.com)
As in 2013, I plan to stock the kits in groups of 5. January 2014 started out with a fresh batch of 5 kits available, and we’ve already sold two. To answer a few common questions:
1. Yes, the kit is available.
2. Yes, the shopping cart works and can be used for purchases.
3. Yes, if you’re uncomfortable using the cart, send me an email, and I’ll be happy to answer any questions and send a customized PayPal invoice.
Happy New Year!
Kits are in stock and ready to ship.
The last 2012 Spud Kit will be on its way to Australia next week. A custom build was commissioned including bypass capacitors and a very nice PEC pot. Pictures will be posted prior to shipping. For 2013, we’re stocking kits in groups of 5 with slight delays between restocking. Email with any questions regarding payment / availability.
After a fairly long hiatus, the Spud Kit is available again. 6 kits are available for shipping in mid-October at this time. Price is $390 for the basic kit, $25 for hardwood side panels and $15 for Priority Mail shipping in the US. Any pre-orders will include a very nice pair of NOS Tung-Sol tubes in addition to the pair of stock NOS tubes included with the kit. Email for details or simply place your order through this site. The Tung-Sol offer will end November 1st, 2012.